Skip Navigation
*To search for student contact information, login to FlashLine and choose the "Directory" icon in the FlashLine masthead (blue bar).


Transient Undergraduate Work at Another University PDFDownload to print

Kent State University undergraduate students in good academic standing who wish to take coursework at another institution that is regionally accredited or pre-approved by Kent State as offering college-level credit must receive the prior approval of the dean of the unit offering the Kent State course.

Students should meet with their academic advisor prior to submitting the Undergraduate Application for Transient Work at Another College or University to ensure their eligibility to take transient coursework, to choose course(s) that can be applied toward their program, and to confirm that they qualify to enroll in the equivalent course at Kent State. Students applying for financial aid during the term of transient study will need to submit to the Office of Student Financial Aid the approved application and an Ad Hoc Consortium Agreement.

To qualify for transient status, student must have been enrolled at Kent State for at least one term before attempting transient coursework and have a minimum 2.000 cumulative GPA. Students who were not enrolled at Kent State for a semester and did not receive transient approval before completing course(s) at another institution must re-apply to Kent State as a transfer student.

Generally, credit for non-remedial/developmental courses in which students have earned a minimum D (1.000) grade will be considered for transfer. All credits granted for transient work will be translated into semester hours. Grades received for transient work are not transferred and are not calculated into the student’s Kent State GPA, but may be considered for admission to and/or progression for specific program. Credit earned for transient work does not count toward students’ residence requirement at Kent State, but it will not invalidate residence in progress.

Approvals for transient attendance are valid for one term only (quarter, semester, etc.) at other institutions (one academic year for year-long study abroad/away opportunities) and are subject to all restrictions of the dean of the student’s college, independent school or regional campus offering a Regional College program.

It is the student’s responsibility, upon completion of the coursework, to submit an official transcript from the transient institution to the admissions office of the Kent State campus enrolled. Students are discouraged from taking transient coursework during their last semester because of the time necessary to receive and process transcripts, which may delay clearing the student for graduation.

All policies that govern the transfer of academic credit also apply to transient credit and can be reviewed in the academic policies section of the University Catalog. Under unusual circumstances, students may request an exception to the above requirements for transient eligibility by contacting their academic unit prior to registration elsewhere.